MARSWORTH, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery of Muresley, lies about seven miles east of Aylesbury, on the borders of Hertfordshire, part of which county is nearly surrounded by Buckinghamshire. Sir John Cobham having surrendered the manor of Marsworth to King Edward III. that monarch gave it to his shield-bearer, Thomas Cheney, ancestor of the Cheneys of Drayton-Beauchamp, it reverted not long afterwards to the crown by surrender or exchange. King Richard II. granted it to the family of Brian, who, about 1570, sold the whole, or a part of it, to the Wests. There are now three manors; Marsworth-De la Hay, the property of Mrs. Henrietta Seare; in whose family it has been many years; Marsworth cum Goldington, the property of Sir Drummond Smith bart. who purchased it of Charles Orlando Gore esq. of Tring Park; and another manor belonging to St. Thomas's Hospital.
In the parish church are some monuments of the familes of West and Seare. The last heir male of the Wests died in 1700. On an altar-tomb belonging to this family, is an engraved brass plate, on which is represented a man in armour, lying on a bed, Death striking him with his dart, his wife and children kneeling by the bedside, and a divine in his canonicals at the foot of the bed.
The great tithes of this parish are vested in the master and scholars of Trinity College, in Cambridge, who are patrons of the vicarage. Sir Drummond Smith is lessee of the great tithes under the college.