North Marston

"The parish of North Marston covers an area of 1983 acres, of which the greater part (1771 acres) is permanent grass and only some 68 acres arable. The land varies from 334 ft. above the ordnance datum in the north of the parish to 452 ft. in the south-east, where the hills average 400 ft. in height. The soil is loam and clay, the subsoil clay, and the chief crops are wheat and beans. The village in the centre of the parish is nearly 1 mile in length. A fire is said to have destroyed many houses in 'the High Street' in 1700; nevertheless, there still remain a number of old cottages and small houses, mostly of half-timber with brick fillings and thatched or tiled roofs. A few retain their wattle and daub fillings." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 62 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £4.11.6 of which sum Hanniball Barnes minister and John Deverill contributed £0.10.0 each

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 109 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in North Marston.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 478 inhabitants in 96 families living in 77 houses recorded in North Marston.

Census Year Population of North Marston
1801* 478
1811* 513
1821* 558
1831* 606
1841 619
1851 692
1861 644
1871 643
1881 649
1891 580
1901 524

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the North Marston area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary, North Marston have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1587 - 1909
Marriages 1725 - 1938
Burials 1595 - 1876

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1587 - 1911
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1600 - 1839
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Banns
-1864
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1595 - 1876
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for North Marston showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
North Marston, St Mary 42 - Morning General Congregation
35 - Morning Sunday Scholars
77 - Morning Total

95 - Afternoon General Congregation
41 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
136 - Afternoon Total

North Marston,
Primitive Methodist
Society Chapel
90 - Morning General Congregation
41 - Morning Sunday Scholars
131 - Morning Total

115 - Evening

North Marston,
Wesleyan Methodist
Chapel
56 - Morning Sunday Scholars

150 - Afternoon General Congregation

155 - Evening General Congregation

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of North Marston which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Marston to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which North Marston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

North Marston was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

NORTH-MARSTON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies nearly four miles south of Winslow. The manor is held under Magdalen College, in Oxford; the lease is now vested in Francis Wastie esq. his first wife having been representative of the Saunders family, who were for many years lessees. The church is a handsome Gothic structure; there is a tradition that the chancel was built with the offerings at the shrine of Sir John Schorne, a very devout man, of great veneration with the people, who was rector of North-Marston about the year 1290, and it is said, that the place became populous and flourishing in consequence of the great resort of persons to a well, which he had blessed. This story stands upon a better foundation than most vulgar traditions; the great tithes of North-Marston are still appropriated to the dean and canons of Windsor, who, before the reformation, might without difficulty have rebuilt the chancel, as it is very probable they did, with the offerings at the shrine of Sir John Schorne, for we are told that they were so productive, that on an average they amounted to 500 l. per annum, (equal at least to 5000 l. according to the present value of money.) Sir John Schorne, therefore, although his name is not to be found, appears to have been a saint of no small reputation. The common people in the neighbourhood still keep up his memory by many traditional stories: Browne Willis says, that in his time there were people who remembered a direction-post standing, which pointed the way to Sir John Schorne's shrine.

Mr. Nield, lessee of the great tithes under the church of Windsor, is patron of the curacy. The parish was inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1778, when an allotment of land was assigned to the impropriator, in lieu of tithes, and a small allotment to the poor for fuel.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Marston derives from the old english mersc + tun and means 'Marsh-farm'. The affix North describes its position in relation to Fleet Marston.