Oving

"The parish of Oving has an extent of 990 acres, in which are included 138 acres of arable land, 803 acres of parmanent grass, and 2 acres of woods and plantations. The pasture land, which thus forms the bulk of the parish, is of an excellent quality and is well watered, since Oving is bounded on the east and west by streams which meet at the northern point of the parish, while various smaller springs rise in the higher land in the centre. The pasture was always important. In the 16th century the lords of the manors and some of their freeholders had laid together 100 acres from their respective lands in Oving, to be called the cow pasture and to be used as common for their mutual benefit. This land was later claimed as common of the manor of North Marston. In 1607 a forty years' lease of this land, then reckoned at 120 acres lately ditched and hedged, was made to Silas Tyto. The soil of this parish is a sandy loam, on a limestone stratum in the higher parts and stiff clay in the valleys. The low land near the borders of the parish is from about 350 ft. to 400 ft. above the ordnance datum, save in the south-east corner, where it is higher. Towards the middle of Oving, more particularly in the south, the land rises considerably, and the village, standing on a hill, is about 500 ft. above sea-level. On the crest of the hill (529 ft.) is the meeting-place of five roads. The main part of the village lies around the road leading south down the hill; it is, however, rather scattered and much intersected by roads and lanes." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]

topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 32 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £4.5.7 of which sum Stephen Allanson parson contributed £1.10.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 57 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Oving.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 305*** inhabitants in 65 families living in 57 houses recorded in Oving.

Census Year Population of Oving
1801* 257***
1811* 306
1821* 372
1831* 384
1841 391
1851 442
1861 436
1871 440
1881 385
1891 364
1901 318

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
***= The population figure in Magna Britannia for 1801 differs from that in the Victoria County History. One of these books has the figures of Oakley for Oving and vice versa for this year

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Oving area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for All Saints, Oving have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1733 - 1868
Marriages 1735 - 1836
Burials 1680 - 1931

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1600 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Christenings
1600 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Marriages
1600 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1600 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Banns
1789 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Burials
1600 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1600 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Family History Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Oving showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Oving, All Saints 30 - Morning General Congregation
75 - Morning Sunday Scholars
105 - Morning Total

88 - Afternoon General Congregation
81 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
169 - Afternoon Total

Oving,
Primitive Methodist
10 - Morning Sunday Scholars
10 - Morning Total

36 - Afternoon General Congregation
10 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
46 - Afternoon Total

100 - Evening General Congregation
100 - Evening Total

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Oving which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Oving to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Oving has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Oving was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

OVING, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Wendover, lies about six miles north-west of Aylesbury, and about a mile to the west of the road from that town to Buckingham. The manor of Oving was purchased, in 1735, of the family of Collins, by Francis Tyringham esq. after whose death it devolved to his elder sister Parnell, wife of Charles Pilsworth esq. M.P. for Aylesbury, who resided at Oving. Some time after Mr. Pilsworth's death it was sold to the late Richard Hopkins esq. one of the lords Commissioners of the Treasury, and was bequeathed by him to Colonel Richard Northey, who has since taken the name of Hopkins in addition, and has now the rank of major-general. The manor-house being situated on the brow of a hill forms a conspicuous object in the vale of Aylesbury. Another manor in Oving has passed with North Marston, and is now held under Magdalen College, in Oxford, by Francis Wastie esq. The rectory is in the gift of the crown.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Oving derives from the old english Ufingas and means 'Uffa's people'.