Princes Risborough

(including Lacey Green, Longwick, Loosley Row and Speen)

"The Parish is bounded, on the North, by Ilmere and Aston Sandford; on the east, by Monks' Risborough and Great Hampden; on the South, by Hughendon and Bradenham; and on the West, by Saunderton and Horsenden; it contains 4700 acres of land, of which, about 3830 are arable, 450 meadow and pasture, and 420 wood. The Parish is eight miles and a half in length, comprising the several Hamlets before mentioned. 
RISBOROUGH is a small market Town on the road from Marlow to Aylesbury, in the direct line from Winchester and Reading, to Bedford and Cambridge." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]

topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred part three - Risboroughs, Missendens and their environs, Volume 9", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 167 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £20.7.8 of which sum Mrs Joa. Chibnall contributed £2.0.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed the following numbers of men between the ages of 16 and 60: Princes Risborough - 137, Princes Risborough Lower Hamlets - 61, Princes Risborough Higher Hamlets - 153.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 1554 inhabitants in 317 families living in 317 houses recorded in Princes Risborough.

Census Year Population of Princes Risborough
1801* 1554
1811* 1644
1821*** 1958
1831*** 2122
1841 2206
1851 2317
1861 2392
1871 2549
1881 2418
1891 2318
1901 2189

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
*** = Census returns for 1821 and 1831 are held at the Buckinghamshire Record Office

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Princes Risborough area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Princes Risborough

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

Lacey Green

topup

Church Records

Princes Risborough

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary, Princes Risborough have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1561 - 1932
Marriages 1561 - 1901
Banns 1754 - 1936
Burials 1561 - 1892

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society Publications
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1561 - 1846
 
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Christenings
 
1561 - 1844
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Marriages
1561 - 1837
 
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
 
1561 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Burials
1561 - 1844
 
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
 
1561 - 1844
Buckinghamshire Family History Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

Lacey Green

The original copies of the parish registers for St John the Evangelist, Lacey Green have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1825 - 1977
Marriages 1851 - 1972
Banns 1851 - 1977
Burials 1825 - 1982

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1825 - 1844
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1825 - 1844
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Princes Risborough showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Princes Risborough, St Mary No data given for 30 March 1851
Princes Risborough,
Chapel of St John the Evangelist
Lacey Green
100 - Morning General Congregation
109 - Morning Sunday Scholars
209 - Morning Total

280 - Afternoon General Congregation
120 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
400 - Afternoon Total

Princes Risborough,
Baptist Chapel
250 - Morning General Congregation

500 - Afternoon General Congregation

150 - Evening General Congregation

Princes Risborough,
Loosley Row Baptist Chapel
150 - Evening
Princes Risborough,
Baptist Chapel Speen
55 - Morning General Congregation
38 - Morning Sunday Scholars
93 - Morning Total

155 - Afternoon General Congregation
40 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
195 - Afternoon Total

95 - Evening General Congregation

Princes Risborough,
Lacey Green Primitive Methodist
Chapel
100 - Morning General Congregation
40 - Morning Sunday Scholars
140 - Morning Total

240 - Afternoon General Congregation
50 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
290 - Afternoon Total

240 - Evening General Congregation
240 - Evening Total

Princes Risborough,
Wesleyan Chapel
60 - Morning General Congregation
35 - Morning Sunday Scholars

50 - Afternoon General Congregation
40 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars

30 - Evening General Congregation

Princes Risborough,
Longwick Wesleyan Chapel
80 - Afternoon
80 - Total

90 - Evening
90 - Total

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Princes Risborough which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Princes Risborough to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Princes Risborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Princes Risborough was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

PRINCE'S-RISBOROUGH, in the hundred of Aylesbury and deanery of Wendover, is a small town 37 miles distant from London, and five miles south-west of Wendover. Its market was granted by King Henry III. who gave the townsmen many priveleges, such as being excused from attendance at assizes and sessions, exemption from toll, &c. There is still a very small market held on Saturday and a fair on the sixth of May.

The manor was anciently in the families of Giffard and Humet. Having become vested in the crown, it was given to Richard Earl of Cornwall, King of the Romans, who died seised of it 1272. King Edward III. granted it in 1333, to Henry Lord Ferrars of Groby. It is said to have been not long afterwards the property of Edward the black Prince, and that he had a palace, supposed to have stood within the site of a spacious moat now dry, which is in a field adjoining the church-yard. This manor was part of the dower of Catharine, the queen of Henry V. King Charles the First sold to it to certain citizens of London, who, in 1637, conveyed it to the Chibnalls. It was afterwards successively in the families of Abraham, Adeane, Pelham, and Penton. The Pentons acquired it by purchase in the year 1692, but they had resided at Risborough above a hundred years before that time; for it appears that Queen Elizabeth, after she had left Hampden in her Buckinghamshire progress, called on Mr. Penton at Risborough. It is now the property of John Grubb esq. of Horsendon, by whose family it was purchased of Henry Penton esq. the present member for Winchester, about the year 1765. Walter Giffard, Earl of Buckingham, gave the rectory of Prince's-Risborough to which a manor was annexed, to Nutley Abbey. It has passed with the lay-manor ever since the time of the Chibnalls. The impropriator is obliged (by the bequest of some former possessor, said to have been a maiden lady,) to provide annually a fat bull to be killed, and a boar to be made into brawn, four bushels of wheat and four bushels of malt to be made into bread and beer, the whole of which is to be distributed amongst the parishioners at Christmas. Mr. Grubb is patron of the curacy.

Mrs. Chibnall, formerly lady of this manor, gave a sum of money to provide clothing annually for 24 poor women.

[Correction/Addition at the end of Magna Britannia states "Sir Thomas Windsor, who is described as of Prince's Risborough, by his will, bearing date 1552, bequeathed a manor in this parish to Ann his daughter and heir, who married Sir Henry Grey ancestor of the Earl of Stamford. The tower of the parish church of Prince's-Risborough having fallen down in 1803, a new tower has been since built by the parish, and a spire erected on it by subscription."]

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

  • Princes Risborough: The name Risborough is believed to derive from the old english hrisen + beorg, and means 'the brushwood-covered hills'. The word Princes, occurs as a result of the Black Prince having custody of the manor in 1343.
  • Lacey Green: appears as Leasey Geen in 1766 and it is believed that the word Leasey is a weakened form of leasowe meaning 'pasture'.
  • Longwick: means 'long dwelling or settlement'.
  • Loosley Row: this name derives from the old english hlose-leah, and means 'pigstye-clearing'.