Radnage

"RADNAGE, RADENACH, or RODENACHE, is bounded, on the North, by a portion of Oxfordshire; on the East, by Bledlow; on the South, by Stoken Church, in Oxfordshire, and West Wycombe; and on the South-west, by Crowell, also in Oxfordshire. The Parish is about three miles long in a direct line from north to south, the breadth not exceeding seven furlongs. It contains about 1360 acres; of which, 930 are arable, 20 pasture and meadow, and 124 woodland; the remainder being common. It is locally situated under the shelter of the high hills of Stoken Church; and the air is esteemed very salubrious, the longevity of the inhabitants being remarkable." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred part three - Risboroughs, Missendens and their environs, Volume 9", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 58 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Radnage.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 306 inhabitants in 79 families living in 58 houses recorded in Radnage.

Census Year Population of Radnage
1801* 306
1811* 319
1821* 366
1831* 399
1841 401
1851 433
1861 478
1871 476
1881 427
1891 452
1901 385

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Radnage area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary, Radnage have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1574 - 1985
Marriages 1574 - 1989
Burials 1653 - 1927

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1574 - 1769
1813 - 1847
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1574 - 1846
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1574 - 1769
1813 - 1857
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Radnage showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Radnage, St Mary 13 - Morning General Congregation
20 - Morning Sunday Scholars
33 - Morning Total

80 - Afternoon General Congregation
12 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
92 - Afternoon Total

Radnage,
Wesleyan Chapel
13 - Male Morning Sunday Scholars
16 - Female Morning Sunday Scholars
29 - Morning Total

35 - Afternoon General Congregation
16 - Male Afternoon Sunday Scholars
18 - Female Afternoon Sunday Scholars

32 - Evening General Congregation

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Radnage which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Radnage to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Radnage has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Radnage was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

RADNAGE, in the hundred of Desborough and deanery of Wycombe, lies about six miles north-west of High-Wycombe. The principal manor called the King's manor, was given by King Henry I. to the Knights-Templars; and on the abolition of their order, was granted, with most of their possessions, to the Knights-Hospitallers. After the dissolution of monasteries it continued in the crown till the reign of Charles I. who sold it to certain citizens of London. It was afterwards in the family of Chase, from whom it was inherited by the late Dr.Bettesworth, chancellor of the diocese of London: it is now vested in his representatives. Another manor was part of the estate of Thomas Chaucer esq. and passed in marriage with his daughter and heir to William De la Pole, Duke of Suffolk. John Duke of Suffolk, and Elizabeth his wife, gave it to the dean and chapter of Windsor, with the king's licence, in 1480. It has been long held under the church of Windsor by the Leighs of Stonely in Warwick: the present lessee is the Hon. Mary Leigh, sister and heir of the late Lord Leigh. The rectory is in the gift of the crown.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name of Radnage derives from the old english readan + æc, and menas 'red oak'.