Sherington

"SHERRINGTON, or Sherington, is a parish of 1780 acres and about 800 inhabitants. Its rateable value is £2301. The soil is chiefly clay, the sub-soil galt. The Village, which is a large one, is situated about 2 miles N. from Newport Pagnell, and about 3 miles S. from Olney, and on the road between those two towns. It is divided into two parts - the church, and the greater portion of it being seated on an eminence, the remainder in a hollow. In the latter portion are several good brick houses, some of which are of modern date and in the Gothic style; and these impart an air of respectability to this part of the place. Sherrington Bridge, which crosses the Ouse, is a handsome structure of three large and two small arches. The women and children make pillow-lace in this and the neighbouring parishes. The open fields in Sherrington parish were inclosed under an act passed in 1796." [History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Bucks, Volume 1", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

  • War memorials in Sherington have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Bucks, Volume 1", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • War memorial details are also available online on the Roll of Honour web site.

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 92 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £5.3.9 of which sum John Chibnall contributed £1.0.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 162 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Sherington.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 671 inhabitants in 151 families living in 127 houses recorded in Sherington.

Census Year Population of Sherington
1801* 671
1811* 773
1821* 796
1831* 804
1841 856
1851 826
1861 839
1871 718
1881 604
1891 566
1901 548

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sherington area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Laud, Sherington have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1698 - 1961
Marriages 1698 - 1958
Burials 1698 - 1922

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1698 - 1812
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Sherington showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Sherington, St Laud 100 - Morning General Congregation
100 - Morning Sunday Scholars

200 - Afternoon General Congregation
100 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars

Sherington,
Independent Chapel
28 - Morning Sunday Scholars

28 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars

62 - Evening General Congregation

Sherington,
Wesleyan Methodist
24 - Morning

60 - Afternoon

70 - Evening

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Sherington which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sherington to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Sherington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Sherington was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

SHERRINGTON, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about two miles north of Newport-Pagnell on the road to Olney. The principal manor was anciently in the Paganells, afterwards in the Tyringhams and Backwells. It was sold in 1694 to the Chapmans, and is now, by purchase, the property of William Praed esq. of Tyringham, the representative of its former proprietors.

Another manor passed by a female heir from the Bassets to the Greys, and was afterwards successively in the families of Marriot, Montgomery, and Norton. From the Nortons it passed by marriage to the Pargiters. It is now, by inheritance from the latter, the property of Dryden Smith esq. in whose family it has been nearly a century.

The Mercers' company have a manor, or manor-farm in this parish, given by Dr. John Colet, dean of St. Paul's, in the year 1519, to that company, in trust for charitable uses. Browne Willis mentions another manor, which was successively in the families of Caron, Linford, Reynes, Lowe, and Adams, and was afterwards purchased (about the year 1710) by the Chesters. The present Mr. Chester has an estate in this parish, but does not exercise any manerial rights.

The bishop of Lincoln is patron of the rectory. The parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament passed in 1796, when a corn-rent was settled on the rector in lieu of tithes.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name of Sherington derives from old english, being a persons name + ing + tun, and means 'Scira's farm'.

topup

Societies

The following is a list of societies and groups specifically for this parish or village and which relate to either local, or family history.