STANTON-BARRY, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about four miles north-east of Stony-Stratford. The manor was anciently in the family of Barry, from whom it passed by a female heir to that of Boveton. At a later period it belonged to the family of Vaux; and, having been vested in the crown by the attainder of Sir William Vaux, was granted, in 1467, to Richard Fowler esq. and his heirs male. Being again in the crown, it was granted to the Ashfields, from whom it passed by marriage to the families of Lea and Temple. In 1667, it was purchased of Sir John Temple by Sir John Wittewronge, who had been created a baronet in 1662. Sir John Wittewronge built a capital mansion at this place (of which there are now no remains) for the residence of his son. It continued to be a seat of the Wittewronges till 1727, when the estate was sold to Sarah Duchess of Marlborough, and the sale was confirmed by act of parliament. The duchess gave it to her grandson John Spencer esq. grandfather of the Right Hon. Earl Spencer, who is the present proprietor. Sir John Wittewronge, the last of the family who possessed this estate, was outlawed for murder of Mr. Griffith, a surgeon, and at length died in the Fleet prison of wounds received in an affray with a fellow prisoner. This opulent family having fallen to decay, Sir William Wittewronge, who succeeded to the title on the death of his unhappy brother in 1743, and was the last baronet, was appointed governor of the poor knights of Windsor.
In the parish church, which exhibits some remains of Saxon architecture, are some memorials for the families of Temple, Tyrrell, and Wittewronge.
Lord Spencer has the great tithes, which were formerly appropriated to the priory of Goring, in Oxfordshire, and is patron of the vicarage.