Stoke Hammond

"The parish of Stoke Hammond, or Hamond, lies at the southern extremity of the hundred of Newport, between Great Brickhill and Newton Longville. Its area is 1470 acres, according to the Census Report, but 1523 by local estimation. The present population is 401; rateable value £2966. The river Ousel, the Grand Junction Canal, and the London and North-Western Railway, pass through the parish. The soil is gravel and clay. The Village is scattered, and lies 3 miles S. from Fenny Stratford. Pillow lace is made here." [History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Cottesloe Hundred, Bucks, Volume 2", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

  • War memorials in Stoke Hammond have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Cottesloe Hundred, Bucks, Volume 2", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • War memorial details are also available online on the Roll of Honour web site.

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 64 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £2.5.8 of which sum Mr Thomas Hillersdon gent contributed £0.10.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 75 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Stoke Hammond.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 268 inhabitants in 55 families living in 44 houses recorded in Stoke Hammond.

Census Year Population of Stoke Hammond
1801* 268
1811* 283
1821* 320
1831* 323
1841 407
1851 438
1861 401
1871 369
1881 365
1891 312
1901 288

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Stoke Hammond area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Luke, Stoke Hammond have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1537 - 1996
Marriages 1534 - 1986
Burials 1538 - 1970

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1534 - 1777
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Stoke Hammond showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Stoke Hammond,
St Luke
36 - Morning General Congregation
50 - Morning Sunday Scholars
86 - Morning Total

46 - Afternoon General Congregation
45 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
91 - Afternoon Total

Stoke Hammond,
Baptist Chapel
13 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars

27 - Evening Sunday Scholars

Stoke Hammond,
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
60 - Afternoon

140 - Evening

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Stoke Hammond which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stoke Hammond to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stoke Hammond has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Stoke Hammond was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

STOKE-HAMOND, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about three miles south of Fenny-Stratford. The manor continued for a considerable time in the family of Wolverton, descendants of Maignon Brito, who held it at the time of the Norman Survey. The greater part of it was afterwards successively in the families of Chastillon, Barton, Ingleton, Tyrrell, Kirk, and Bennet. From the latter it passed by marriage to the family of Scudamore: it now the property of his grace the Duke of Norfolk, in right of his duchess, who was grandaughter and heir of the last Lord Scudamore. A fourth part of the manor was separated from the rest in the reign of Richard II. and given to the priory of Dunstaple: subsequent to the reformation it was for some years in the family of Pye, afterwards in the Smiths: in 1773 it was purchased in trust for the Duchess of Norfolk, in whom the whole manor is now vested. The lands belonging to this portion of the manor passed into other hands.

In the parish church are some memorials of the families of Disney, Hillersdon, and Frank. The bishop of Lincoln is patron of the rectory. The parish has been inclosed pursuant to an act of parliament, passed in1773, when an allotment was made to the rector in lieu of tithes.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The first part of the name Stoke Hammond derives from the old english word stoc, and means 'outlying farmstead or hamlet'. The second part, 'Hammond', derives from Hamon who was the son of Mainfelin, a 12th century descendant of the holder of the manor at the time of the Domesday Survey.