STOKE-MANDEVILLE, in the hundred of Aylesbury and deanery of Wendover, lies about three miles and a half south of Aylesbury, near the road to Amersham. This manor, which was formerly in the Zouches, and of late years in the Clarkes of Ardington, in Berkshire; was purchased, about the year 1790, of William Wiseman Clarke esq. by Mr. Charles Lucas, of Aylesbury, the present proprietor.
The manor of Oldbury belonged, in the reign of King Richard the Second, to Sir William Moton; both this manor and that of Newbury in this parish, were soon afterwards in the Brudenells, collateral ancestors of the Earl of Cardigan, who had a seat at Stoke-Mandeville. In the chapel, (which is parochial although dependant on Bierton as the mother church), is a tablet in memory of some children of Edmund Brudenell esq. who died in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The manors of Oldbury and Newbury are not now known.
The rectorial estate is held by Christ's-Hospital under the dean and chapter of Lincoln. The parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament passed in 1797: when an allotment of land was given in lieu of the great tithes, and a corn-rent assigned to the vicar of Bierton.
Prestwood lies in an insulated part of the parish of Stoke-Mandeville, among the woods between Hampden and Missenden. Southward of the avenue leading to Hampden house, was the land for which 20s. ship money was assessed on Mr. Hampden, whose resistance of this assessment occasioned the celebrated trial on that subject. Mr. Oldham's manor of Overbury extends into this part of the parish.