Turville

"In ancient records the name of this place is variously spelt Therfield, Tyrefield, and Tyrefold. The parish lies on the verge of Oxfordshire, and extends over an area of 2315 acres, of the rateable value of £1456. The number of the population at present is 437. Many Roman copper coins, chiefly of the middle Empire were found here in 1772. The Village is distant 6 miles W.S.W. from High Wycombe, 7 miles N. from Henley-on-Thames, and 8 miles N.W. from Great Marlow. The greater part of the houses of the parish are at the Heath, North End, and South End, two to four miles from the parish church." [History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: High Wycombe and area, Volume 11", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 74 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Turville.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 376 inhabitants in 72 families living in 72 houses recorded in Turville.

Census Year Population of Turville
1801* 376
1811* 382
1821* 362
1831* 442
1841 476
1851 436
1861 437
1871 456
1881 423
1891 468
1901 371

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Turville area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary, Turville have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1582 - 1989
Marriages 1582 - 1837
Burials 1582 - 1920
Register of Graves 1890 - 1979

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1582 - 1733
1813 - 1852
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1582 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1582 - 1733
1813 - 1852
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Turville showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Turville, St Mary 20 - Morning Sunday Scholars

17 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Turville which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Turville to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Turville has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Turville was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

TURVILLE, in the hundred of Desborough and deanery of Wycombe, lies on the borders of Oxfordshire, about eight miles west of Wycombe, about seven miles north-west of Marlow, and about the same distance from Henley. There are two manors in this parish, one of which was in the family of Morteyne, from the reign of Edward I. till about the year 1406, when it passed by female heir to the Botilers. In 1546, it was purchased by Sir John Williams, and soon afterwards passed to the ancient family of Doyley, and from them about the year 1703, by marriage to the Pocockes. In 1753, it was purchased of Mrs. Pococke, a widow lady, by John Osborne, the celebrated bookseller, whose son is the present proprietor.

The other manor belonged to the abbey of St. Alban's, and was granted by King Henry VIII. to Edward Chamberleyne, who conveyed it to the Dormer family. In 1653, John Ovey esq. bought the whole, or a part of this estate of Mr. West, who had not long before purchased it of the Dormers. From Mr. Ovey's family it passed by marriage to the Perrys. Mr. Perry, who married one of the coheiresses of the Sidneys, Earls of Leicester, built a fine seat at Turville park, and was sheriff of the county in 1741. Turville park is now the property and seat of Thomas Butlin esq. who purchased it of Mr. Shelly, son-in-law, and in right of his wife, heir of Mr. Perry.

In the church are some memorials of the families of Doyley, Pococke, and Perry. The rectory, which was appropriated to the abbey of St. Alban's, is now in severalties, together with the advowson of the vicarage.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name of Turville derives from the old english words thyrre + feld, and means 'dry open land'.