WAVENDON, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies on the borders of Bedforshire, in the great road to London, five miles from Newport-Pagnell, and four from Woburn. The principal manor was in the Passelews, from 1180 till 1313, and afterwards successively in the families of Peyvre, Green, Stafford, Fitzhugh, Cranwell, Beale, Cullen, and Isaacson. It is now the property of Mrs. Denison, widow of the late principal of Magdalen-Hall, in Oxford, who is descended from the Isaacsons.
Another manor passed from the Bolbecs, by female heirs, to the Veres and Courtenays. This manor, or reputed manor, which had been before demised to John Sheppard, was granted in fee to him and his heirs, in 1557, as having been then lately the property of the attainted Marquis of Exeter. Some pits of fullers earth are mentioned in the grant as being on this estate. It has since been in the family of Wells, and is now the property of Mr. Dixie.
A third manor, or reputed manor, which had been given by the Bolebecs or Veres, to Woburn Abbey, was granted in 1559, to Campion and Thompson. It has since been divided into severalties. The act of parliament which passed in 1788, for inclosing this parish, describes the several owners of these estates, as claiming the manor of Wavendon and a right to the heath. The claims were to be examined into, and the act allots land to the lord of the manor "if any." The commissioners, after examining into the several claims, determined that Mrs. Denison's was the only estate entitled to an allotment on account of manorial rights.
Mr. Serjeant Selby had an estate in this parish, on which he built a house for his own residence. Since the death of his son, the late Mr. Selby, it has passed through several hands, and is now the property and residence of Henry Hugh Hoare esq.
Mr. Selby was patron of the rectory, which is in the deanery of Newport-Pagnell. The advowson is now vested in Mr. Leonard Hampson of Luton. The act of parliament abovementioned did not exonerate this parish from tithes.
In the church are some memorials of the family of Saunders, of Battlesden, among which is that of Richard Saunders esq. who died in 1639, having had 27 children by four wives. Mr. George Wells, who died in 1714, and his niece, Mrs. Miller, gave the sum of 1000 l. with which a charity school was built, and endowed with lands, producing a rent of 40 l. per annum for instructing, clothing, and apprenticing 10 boys.