"ARDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Wantage, in the county of Berks, 2 miles to the E. of Wantage. It is situated on the Roman way called lknield Street, and the Wilts and Berks canal. The Great Western railway passes near the village, and has a station at Wantage-road, about 2 miles to the N.E. The living is a vicarage" in the diocese of Oxford, in the patronage of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and is in the early English style, with square tower, surmounted by a spire. It contains the tomb of R. Vernon, Esq., the collector of the famous "Vernon Gallery" of pictures, which he bequeathed to the nation, on his death, in 1849. His death took place at Ardington House, formerly the residence of the Clarkes, to whom the manor belonged, but at present the seat of Captain Leicester Vernon, M.P."
"ARDINGTON WICK, a hamlet in the parish of Ardington in the county of Berks."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.