"ASHBURY, a parish in the hundred of Shrivenham, in the county of Berks, 7 miles to the S.W. of Farringdon. Shrivenham is its post town. It is situated near the Great Western railway, and contains the tythings of Idstone and Odstone, and the hamlet of Kingstone-Winslow. The living is a the diocese of Oxford, value £375, in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are charities amounting to £14 per annum. The famous White Horse Hill, so named from the figure of a horse formed by a broad cutting in the chalk, is near Ashbury. The Roman Iknield Street, also called Ridge Way, runs near the village. And in the neighbourhood are Wayland Smith's cave, and the remains of a camp of Alfred the Great."
"IDSTONE, a tything in the parish of Ashbury, hundred of Shrivenham, county Berks, 5 miles N.W. of Lambourne. The old Roman road intersects the village."
"KINGSTONE WINSLOW, a hamlet in the parish of Ashbury, hundred of Shrivenham, county Berks, 8 miles W.S.W. of Wantage, and 21 from Newbury. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural."
"ODSTONE, a tything in the parish of Ashbury, hundred of Shrivenham, county Berks, 6 miles N.W. of Lambourn."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.