"BARKHAM, a parish in the hundred of Charlton, in the county of Berks, 3 miles to the S.W. of Wokingham, its post town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, of the value of £350, late in the patronage of C. L. Gower, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. James. The principal residence is Barkham House, the seat of the Clives."
"LANGLEY COMMON, a village in the parish of Barkham, county Berks, 3 miles N.W. of Wokingham."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.