"BRACKNAL, (or Bracknell), a hamlet in the parish of Easthampstead [now a separate parish formed from parts of Warfield and Winkfield in 1851.], hundred of Ripplesmere, in the county of Berks, 4 miles from Wokingham. It is a station on the Richmond, Staines, and Reading branch of the London and South-Western railway. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warfield, in the diocese of Oxford, in the gift of the bishop. The church, an elegant stone structure in the pointed style, was erected in 1851. There is much fine scenery and many good residences in the neighbourhood.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003. Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.