"BUCKLAND, a parish in the hundred of Ganfield, in the county of Berks, 4 miles to the N.E. of Farringdon. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Thames, and contains the hamlet of Carswell. The manor was held by the De la Poles, dukes of Suffolk, from whom it passed, in 1545, to the Yateses, and in 1690 to the Throckmortons, who still hold it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, worth £310, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a free school for boys and girls, founded in 1793, by Henry Southby, and further endowed by other persons, with an income of about £40 per annum. The other charities produce about £20 a year. The chief residence is Buckland House, the seat of Sir R. G. Throckmorton, Bart. It was erected in 1757, after designs by John Wood, of Bath."
"CARSWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Buckland, hundred of Ganfield, in the county of Berks, 3 miles N.E. of Faringdon."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.