"BUSCOT, (or Burwascot), a parish in the hundred of Shrivenham, in the county of Berks, 2 miles to the S.E. of Lechlade, in Gloucestershire, its post town. It is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Thames, which is crossed at Buscot Wick by St. John's Bridge. The living is a the diocese of Oxford, value £457, in the patronage of Pryse Pryse, Esq. The church, a small ancient building, is dedicated to St. Mary, and has several monuments of the Lovedens, whose seat is Buscot Park. The mansion was built in 1783 by Edward Loveden, Esq., one of the chief promoters of the Thames and Severn canal, which terminates at Lechlade. The parochial charities produce about £35 a year. The village is a meet for the Old Berks hounds.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.