"CHADDLEWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Kintbury Eagle, in the county of Berks, 6 miles S. of Wantage, its post town, and 9 N.W. of Newbury. It contains Woolley, where was formerly a priory. The Great Western railway passes within 6 miles of the village, and has a station at Wantago Road. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £272, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient building with a low tower, nave, and chancel; the porch entrance is a Saxon arch of great antiquity. There is an endowed school, supported by funds left by Mrs. Saundors and Mrs. Wynne, as well as National schools. There are some small charities. B. Wroughton, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of Woolley Park, which is very extensive and well stocked with doer. The principal residences are Woolley Park and Chaddleworth House."
"WOOLLEY, a tything in the parish of Chaddleworth, hundred of Kintbury Eagle, county Berks, 6 miles W. of East Ilsley."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.