"CHILTON, a parish in the hundred of Compton, in the county of Berks, 4 miles N. of East Ilsley, and 8 from Abingdon, its post town. The Great Western railway passes within a few miles of the village, and has a station at Didcot. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £400, in the patronage of G. Morland, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a modern building in the early English style. The charities amount to £11 per annum."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.