"CLEWER, a parish in the hundred of Ripplesmere, in the county of Berks, 1 mile from Windsor, its post town, and 6 from Maidenhead. It is situated on the S. bank of the Thames. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £460, in the patronage of Eton College. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a substantial building in the Norman style of architecture, with spire. It contains a curious and beautiful font, and a monument to Field-Marshal the Earl of Harcourt. The charities produce £21 per annum. There is a chapel of ease, a Roman Catholic chapel, National schools, and a penitentiary, called the House of Mercy, founded in 1849, and recently enlarged. St. Leonard's, the seat of the Harcourt family, and St. Lconard's Hill, the seat of Sir T. Brinkman, Bart., are the chief residences. Arthur Vansittart, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"ST. LEONARD'S HILL, a seat in the parish of Clewer, in Windsor Forest, county Berks, near Sunninghill.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.