"DENCHWORTH, a parish in the hundreds of Wantage and Ock, in the county of Berks, 2½ miles N.W. of Wantage. It extends along the river Ock, and comprises some of the richest pasture-land in England. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £130, in the patronage of Worcester College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an old Gothic building, consisting of transepts, nave, chancel, and tower, and contains some ancient monuments and brasses to the Hyde family. The tithes were commuted for land, under an Enclosure Act, in 1801. The charities amount to £9 per annum. There is a Wesleyan chapel. It was formerly the seat of the families of Hyde, Fettiplace, and Geering."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.