"DIDCOT, (or Dudcott, or Dudcote), a parish in the hundred of Moreton, in the county of Berks, 5½ miles S. of Abingdon, 6 N.W. of Wallingford, and 9 from Oxford. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The village is small. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £397, in the patronage of Brazenose College. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and is a plain building, with wooden tower. There are a day and Sunday school. The charities amount to £1 per annum. W. R. Baker, Esq., is lord of the manor.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.