"ENBORNE, a parish in the hundred of Kintbury Eagle, county Berks, 2 miles S.W. of Newbury, its post town. The Avon and Kennet canal passes through the parish. The custom of free bench prevails in this manor. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £416. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Michael. There is a National school. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.
On its south-eastern side, the parish of Enborne adjoins the Wash Common district of Newbury. The boundary between the two formerly ran along a Bronze Age trackway which cut north-south across the common, dividing it into Enborne Wash (about one third) and Newbury Wash (two thirds). In 1934, the town boundary moved a few hundred yards westwards to the road (Enborne Street), thus taking the whole of the former common (which was by now undergoing development) into Newbury. Wash Common was never a civil parish, and only became an ecclesiastical parish (created from bits of St Michael's (Enborne) and St John's (Newbury) in 1963.