"FARNBOROUGH, a parish in the hundred of Compton, county Berks, 5 miles S.E. of Wantage, its post town, and 9 N. of Newbury. It is situated on the Berkshire Downs. The greater portion of the parish is in downs and sheepwalks. The surface is hilly, and the springs lie at a great depth. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £291. The church is an ancient Norman structure, dedicated to All Saints, and has monuments of the Prices, and a handsome font. There is a free school for both sexes. The Bramshill hounds meet here."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.