"FAWLEY, (or Great Fawley or North Fawley), a parish in the hundred of Kintbury Eagle, county Berks, 4 miles S. of Wantage, its post town. It includes the hamlets of Little Fawley and Whatcombe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. The church is a small edifice dedicated to St. Mary.
"WATCOMB, a liberty in the parish of North Fawley, county Berks, 7 miles S.W. of East Ilsley."
"WHATCOMBE, a tything in the parish of Fawley, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county Berks, 6 miles S. of Wantage."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.