"GREAT COXWELL, a parish in the hundred of Faringdon, in the county of Berks, 2 miles from Faringdon, its post town, and 5 from the Faringdon Road station of the Great Western railway. The manor was granted by King John, in 1204, to the abbots of Beaulieu, and a portion still remaining of the conventual buildings have been converted into a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £211, in the patronage of the bishop. There is a school with a small endowment. This parish, conjointly with Coleshill, has a rent-charge of £73 6s., bequeathed by the Earl of Radnor and the Rev. John Pinsant, for apprenticing children of the two parishes. On Badbury Hill is a Danish circular encampment.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.