"HAMPSTEAD NORRIS, (or Hamstead Norreys) a parish in the hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 7 miles N.E. of Newbury, its post town, and 3 S.E. of Ilsley. The parish, which is very extensive, is situated on a branch of the river Thames, and contains the hamlets of Hermitage, Little Hungerford, Bottomstead, World's End, and Eling. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface is hilly, and the soil in some parts light and sandy, but in others chalky, abounding in flints. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £916, and the vicarial for £313. A new ecclesiastical district has recently been formed out of this parish. The living is a vicarage* with the perpetual curacy* of Hermitage annexed, in the diocese of Oxford, value £400. The church, dedicated to' St. Mary, is an ancient structure erected in the year 1100, and has a low square tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a free school supported by subscriptions. Near East Hampstead Park, the residence of the Marquis of Downshire, many Roman coins, bricks, &c., have been found. S. C. Brown, Esq., is lord of the manor.
"BANTERWICK BARN, (or Banderwic), a farm in the parish of Hampstead Norris, hundred of Faircross, in the county of Berks, 4 miles from East Ilsley.
"HERMITAGE, a chapelry in the parish of Hampstead Norris, county Berks, 4 miles N.E. of Newbury."
"WELLHOUSE, a tything in the parish of Hampstead Norris, hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 3½ miles N. of Newbury."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.