"HINTON-WALDRIDGE, (or Waldrist), a parish in the hundred of Ganfield, county Berks, 6 miles N.E. of Farringdon, and 8 N. W. of Abingdon. The parish, which is bounded on the N. by the river Isis, contains the hamlet of Duxford. The village, which is now an insignificant place, was anciently a market town, under the St. Valerys, to whom the manor belonged. The land is chiefly arable, and from the higher grounds are extensive views, embracing Blenheim and Witney. There are quarries of good freestone for building purposes. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1761. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £370. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient structure. There is a National school. Near Windmill Hill is an old camp.
"DUXFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Hinton-Waldridge, in the county of Berks, 6 miles N.E. of Farringdon. It is situated on the river Isis, near the Ferry."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.