"INKPEN, a parish in the hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county Berks, 3 miles S.E. of Hungerford, its post town. The village is considerable, and chiefly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £615. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £520. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small ancient edifice with a low square tower containing three bells. In the interior are monuments to the Butler family. The charities produce about £25 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Wesleyan chapel and Sunday-school in connection with it. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.