"LANGFORD, a parish partly in the hundred of Farringdon, county Berks, and partly in that of Bampton, county Oxford
, 4 miles E. of Lechlade, its post town, and 12 from the Farringdon Road railway station. It contains the chapelry of Little Farringdon, and the hamlets of Grafton and Radcot, in Oxfordshire, to which county the whole parish is attached for electoral purposes. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under Enclosure Acts obtained in 1808 and 1810. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Little Farringdon annexed, value £350, in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to. St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a Saxon tower. The interior of the church has a brass of William Pirmes bearing date 1609. There is a chapel-of-ease at Little Farringdon. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.