"LETCOMBE REGIS, a parish in the hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county Berks, 1½ miles S.W. of Wantage, its post town. It is situated on a branch of the river Ock, and near the Wilts and Berks canal. The parish, which is of large extent, contains the chapelries of East and West Challow. The land is chiefly arable. To the N. of the village, which is wholly agricultural, the Roman Icknield Street crosses the Vale of White Horse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £200, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester, who are impropriators. The parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a neat structure with a square embattled tower containing six bells. There are also district churches at East and West Challow, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, value £100. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum, of which £8 goes to Fethplace's school. There are National and infant schools. On the summit of the chalk hills to the S. of the village is an extensive quadrangular entrenchment called Letcombe Castle, supposed to be Roman."
"EAST CHALLOW, a township and chapelry in the parish of Letcombe Regis, hundred of Kentbury Eagle, in the county of Berks, 1 mile W. of Wantage. It is situated on the Berks and Wilts canal. The living is a curacy united to the vicarage of Letcombe Regis. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas.
"WEST CHALLOW, a township and chapelry in the parish of Letcombe Regis, in the county of Berks, adjoining East Challow. The chapel of ease is dedicated to St. Lawrence.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.