"MARCHAM, a parish in the hundred of Ock, county Berks, 2 3/4 miles W. of Abingdon, its post town. It is situated on the river Ock, near the Berks and Wilts canal, and comprises the townships of Cothill, Frilford, and Garford. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. It is a meet for the old Berkshire hounds. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1815. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £455, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower. It was rebuilt in 1837, with the exception of the tower. At Garford is a chapel- of-ease. The parochial charities produce about £73 8s. 6d. per annum. There is a free school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists at Frilford and Cothill have each a chapel. Sheepstead House and Marcham Park are the principal residences. The latter was formerly the seat of the rich miser Elwes. Henry Elwes, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"COTHILL, a hamlet in the parish of Marcham, in the county of Berks, 2 miles N. of Abingdon."
"FRILFORD, a township in the parish of Marcham, hundred of Ock, county Berks, 3 miles W. of Abingdon. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Ock. The Wesleyans have a chapel."
"GARFORD, a chapelry in the parish of Marcham, hundred of Ock, county Berks, 4 miles S.W. of Abingdon. It is situated on the river Ock."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.