"PADWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Theale, county Berks, 9 miles S.W. of Reading, its post town. It is a small straggling village, situated on the southern part of the county, near the river Kennet. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The Hungerford branch of the Great Western railway passes through the village, and the Kennet and Avon canal at its northern extremity. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £250. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £240. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure. The chancel, which is apsidal, is separated from the nave by a Norman arch. The parochial charities produce about £17 per annum. Padworth House, the principal residence, is situated a short distance from the village. It has armorial bearings in the windows, and was formerly the seat of the Fosters. Darby Griffiths, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are traces of an ancient earthwork, called Gryme's Bank, supposed to be of Saxon origin.
"ALDERMASTON WHARF, a village in the parish of Padworth, in the county of Berks." [Settlement on the Kennet & Avon canal, falling within three parishes: Aldermaston, Beenham and Padworth]
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.