"PUSEY, a parish in the hundred of Ganfield, county Berks, 5 miles E: by N. of Great Faringdon, its post town, and 12 from Oxford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in the vale of White Horse, on the river Ock. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. Pusey was the Saxon Pefesige
, and was held under a grant from Canute by the Puseys, one of whom, Charles Pusey, recovered the manor in Chancery, before Lord Chancellor Jeffreys, by production in court of the identical horn entrusted to his ancestors by Canute the Great, above 700 years before. The horn is that of an ox, and is of a dark brown colour, 2 feet in length, and upon it is the inscription, "Kyng Knowd gave Willyam Pewse Thys horn to hold by thy Lond." It was perhaps used for drinking, or more probably as a hunting horn. The old Berkshire hounds have a meet in this parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £173, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains a marble monument to J. Allen Pusey, and a singular epitaph to Lady O'Loonry, grandniece of Burke, who went by the name of "Sublime." The church was rebuilt by J. Allen Pusey about 1754. Buckland House and Pusey House are the principal residences."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.