"RADLEY, a parish in the hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 2½ miles N.E. of Abingdon, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the line of the Oxford railway. The parish is bounded by the navigable river Isis, and is wholly agricultural. Radley once belonged to the priory of Abingdon, and in the reign of Elizabeth was purchased by George Stonehouse, Esq., one of the clerks of the Board of Green Cloth. The parish comprises the liberty of Thruppwick and a portion of the township of Kennington. The soil consists of a rich loamy earth. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. James, was rebuilt in 1842, with an embattled tower. The interior of the church contains effigies and monuments of the Stonehouse family. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. The Hall is the principal residence. Sir G. Bowyer, Bart., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"ISLAND, a hamlet in the township of Kennington and parish of Radley, county Berks, 2 miles S. of Oxford. It is situated near the Isis."
"THRUPP, a liberty in the parish of Radley, hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 1½ mile E. of Abingdon. It is situated near the Oxford railway and the river Thames, and is joined with Wick."
"WICK, a liberty in the parish of Radley, county Berks, 2 miles E. of Abingdon. It is joined with Thrupp."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.