"SHELLINGFORD, (or Shillingford), a parish in the hundred of Ganfield, county Berks, 3 miles S.E. of Great Faringdon, its post town, and 7 from Highworth. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Ock, and is wholly agricultural. About two-thirds of the land are in pasture, and the remainder arable and woodland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £497. The church, dedicated to St. Luke (sic, it is in fact dedicated to St. Faith!) is an ancient structure containing several ancient tombs, among which is one to John de Blewberry, a former rector, bearing date 1372, and one to the late Lord Ashbrook. There are day and Sunday schools. T. M. Goodlake, Esq., is lord of the manor.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.