"STANFORD DINGLEY, a parish in the hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 10 miles N.W. of Reading, its post town, and 8 N.E. of Newbury. The village, which is small, is situated on a branch of the river Thames, and is chiefly agricultural. There is a large tannery in the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £257. The church is dedicated to St. Dennis. The interior contains a brass of Margaret Dyneley, bearing date 1444. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a school supported by the rector. W. H. H. Hartley, Esq., is lord of the manor."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.