"SUTTON COURTNEY, a parish in the hundred of Ock, county Berks, 2½ miles S.E. of Abingdon, its post town. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the Thames, near the Oxford railway and Wilts and Berks canal. The parish includes the townships of Sutton Wick and Appleford. Some of the inhabitants are employed in a paper mill. The soil consists of clay, gravel, and loam. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Appleford, in the diocese of Oxford, value £148, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a tower: the roof was restored in 1846. The interior contains a wooden rood loft and a Norman font surrounded by pillars. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Appleford. The parochial charities produce about £160 per annum, of which £45 go to Bradstock's school and £63 to Elderfield's almshouses. T. West, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"APPLEFORD, a chapelry in the parish of Sutton Courtney, hundred of Ock, in the county of Berks, 3 miles to the S.E. of Abingdon. It is situated on the western bank of the river Thames, and the Oxford and Birmingham branch of the Great Western railway passes through it. It has a free school endowed by Edmund Bradstock, the benefits of which are shared with the parish of Sutton."
"SUTTON WICK, a township in the parish of Sutton Courtney, hundred of Ock, county Berks, 2 miles S.W. of Abingdon."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.