"UFTON, (or Ufton Nervet), a parish in the hundred of Theale, county Berks, 7½ miles S. W. of Reading, its post town. The village is situated on the river Kennet. The parish has included the hamlet of Ufton Greys since 1442, previously a distinct parish. The surface is hilly, and much of the land is in common. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £426, in the patronage of Oriel College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The church of Ufton Greys has long been in ruins. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, derived from fuel allotment. There is a partly endowed free school. R. B. de Beavoir, Esq., of Englefield, is lord of the manor.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.