"WELFORD, a parish in the hundreds of Kintbury-Eagle and Faircross, county Berks, 5 miles N.W. of Newbury. It is situated on the river Lambourn, and includes the chapelry of Wickham and the hamlets of Easton, Weston, and Hoe Benham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford value with the curacy of Wickham annexed, £1,500. The church, dedicated to St. Gregory, has undergone extensive repairs, and contains some stone stalls. The chapel-of-ease at Wickham is dedicated to St. Swithin. There are National and Sunday schools, chiefly supported by C. Eyre, Esq., who is lord of the manor."
"EASTON, a tything in the parish of Welford, county Berks, 4 miles N.W. of Newbury. It is situated on the river Kennet."
"ELTON, a small place in the parish of Welford, county of Berks, 5 miles N.E. of Hungerford. The river Kennet passes through it."
"HOE-BENHAM, a tything in the parish of Welford, county Berks, 4 miles W. of Newbury."
"OAKHANGER, a hamlet in the parish of Welford, hundred of Kintbury Eagle, county Berks, 3 miles N.E. of Hungerford, and 21 W. by S. of Reading. It is situated near the river Kennet, and the branch line of the Great Western railway."
"WESTON, a tything in the parish of Welford, county Berks, 5 miles N.W. of Newbury, on the river Lambourne."
"WICKHAM, a tything and chapelry in the parish of Welford, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county Berks, 5 miles N.W. of Newbury. The chapel-of-ease is dedicated to St. Swithin."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.