"ABINGTON PIGOTT'S, (or Abington in the clay), a parish in the hundred of Armingford, in the county of Cambridge, 4 miles north-west of Royston station, and 42 from London. It is situated on a branch of the river Cam. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £310. The patronage is with M. G. F. Pigott, Esq., of Abington Hall, who is the representative of a family which has held the manor from the time of the Conquest. The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and has nave, chancel, south porch, and tower, with two bells. The register extends as far back as 1600. There was formerly a market on Fridays, granted to the Bassingbourns about the year 1335.