GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

ARRINGTON

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"ARRINGTON, (or Ermington), a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, in the county of Cambridge, 6 miles to the north-west of Royston railway station, and 10 south-west of Cambridge. It is situated on the old British way, Ermine Street, a little to the north of the bridge over the river Cam. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £69, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, who are impropriators of the great tithes. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a plain ancient structure, built upon a mound in the centre of the parish. The register of marriages and burials dates from 1538, and the register of baptisms, 12 years later. Petty sessions are held in the village. The parish contains 1,388 acres, the sole property of the Earl of Hardwicke.

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Community Websites

Gazetteers

Military History

Names (Geographical)

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014