Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"ASHLEY is a parish and village, on the Suffolk border of the county, 4 miles, south-east from Newmarket and the same distance from Kennett station on the Cambridge and Bury St. Edmunds section of the London and North Eastern railway, in the hundred of Cheveley, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil is various; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,225 acres; the population in 1921 was 504."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]