GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

BALSHAM

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"BALSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Radfield, in the county of Cambridge, 4 miles to the north-east of Linton, its post town. It lies not far from the border of Suffolk, and comprises part of the Gogmagog Hills, the loftiest ground in Cambridgeshire. On their summit is an ancient camp surrounded by a triple entrenchment and two ditches, and covering an area of thirteen acres. This camp is on the line of the Roman road called Via Devana. The seat of Lord Godolphin, with its pleasant grounds, is situated within the entrenchment. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £1,104, in the patronage of the Governors of the Charterhouse, London. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It is a very ancient edifice, and was rebuilt at the close of the 14th century by John de Sleford, master of the wardrobe to Edward III. It contains stalls of carved oak, two tombs of priests adorned with fine brasses, and one of a knight. This village was the birthplace of Hugh de Balsham, the founder of Peterhouse College, Cambridge. There are charitable endowments amounting to £49 per annum."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014