Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"BARRINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, in the county of Cambridge, 7 miles to the south-west of Cambridge, and about the same distance north of Royston, its post town. It is situated on the river Rhea, near one mile from Foxton railway station. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £107, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge, who are also lords of the manor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with embattled tower, and a chapel contiguous to the north aisle, which is now used as a burial-place of the Bendyshe family. There is a handsome Independent chapel, erected in 1856, and a National school for boys and girls. The charitable endowments amount to £43. There was formerly a market held here on Mondays, granted in the year 1335 to Thomas de Heslarton, together with a fair for three days at the Feast of St. Margaret, but these have long been disused."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of All Saints are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office for the years 1717-1947. The Independent churchyard is recorded for the years 1813-1938.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- The church of All Saints is a building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, with Perpendicular windows and timber work, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave aisles, north and south porches, a chapel contiguous to the north aisle and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells the chancel, which is Decorated retains a piscina and priest's doorway and has four windows with flowing tracery; the nave piers are Early English, dating from about 1180, but the clerestory is Perpendicular; in the tower is an aumbry with ancient oak doors: the north chapel, used as the burial place of the Bendyshe family, is of Perpendicular date: the nave is seated with open benches of the 15th century, handsomely carved, and the pulpit is enriched with Jacobean work: the font, a square basin of Norman date, stands on a Decorated base: the rood staircase is perfect : in the south aisle is a fine oak chest, bound with iron: the church plate bears the date 1569: the church was repaired during the period 1874-91 at a cost of £851 : the church tower was repaired in 1920 at the sole cost of C. M. Agnew esq. of Durrant's, Croxley Green, under the direction of Mr. Comper: there are 300 sittings. The register of marriages dates from the year 1570; baptisms, 1572; burials, 1570.
- There is a Congregational chapel first founded in 1667, the present building being erected in 1856 on a site given by John Coleman esq. and holding 500 persons. [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- There is further information and photographs of the Church on Ben and Mark's Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Barrington, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1573-1984, marriages 1571-1994, burials 1570-1891, banns for 1757-1956 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1618, 1670-1800 and 1813-1862 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexes to transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1570-1890, marriages 1571-1890, and burials 1570-1890. The parish records 1570-1890 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Barrington Independent: Records exist for baptisms 1799, 1820-37 (on microfilm), 1871-1912, burials 1912-26.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Barrington which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL392496 (Lat/Lon: 52.127144, 0.032084), Barrington which are provided by:
- "On the village green is a memorial of Doulting stone, erected in 1920, in memory of the men of the perish who fell In the Greet War 1914-18." [Kelly's Directory - 1929] The Barrington War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched, it stands on the green outside the parish church of All Saints. A further memorial exists inside the church of All saints.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm) and 1810-1948.