[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"BARTLOW is a small parish and village, near the road from Cambridge to Haverhill; it is the junction station of the lines from Haverhill and Saffron Walden to Cambridge on the London and North Eastern way, and is 2 miles south-east from Linton, 13 south-east from Cambridge and 49 by rail from London, in the hundred of Chilford, union and patty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The village of Bartlow is in the county of Cambridge, but the hamlet of Bartlow (or Steventon) End, as it is otherwise called, is in the county of Essex; but for ecclesiastical purposes is part of Bartlow.
Near the village are four (formerly six) very remarkable artificial hills, excavated in the years 1832, 1835 and 1838, and described in vols. 25, 26 and 28 of the Archaeologia, by Rokewood Gage esq. who distinctly proves them to be Roman works; many curious and valuable sepulchral relics, discovered in these hills and deposited at Easton Lodge, near Dunmow, the seat of the Countess of Warwick, were unfortunately lost in the fire by which that mansion was destroyed; these hills are actually in the parish of Ashdon, but are called Bartlow Hills from their being close to that village. Bartlow House is the seat of Charles Gerald Brocklebank esq. M.C. who is the principal landowner. The soil is chalk and gravel; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats beans and barley. The parish contains 377 acres; the population in 1921 was 94 in the civil parish and 216 the ecclesiastical, which extends into Essex.
BARTLOW END, also called Stevington End, in Essex, was a hamlet in the parish of Ashdon, Essex, and a separate civil parish from 1866 to 1946. Ecclesiastically it was part of Bartlow, though always in Essex."