"BARTLOW, a parish in the hundred of Chilford, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles to the south-east of Linton, its post town, 13 from Cambridge, and 8 from Audley-End railway station. It lies on the border of Essex, not far from the Great Eastern railway, which company is about to bring a new line through the parish from Haverhill to Shelford, near Cambridge, and for which they obtained an Act of Parliament in the session of 1862. It will connect the Colne Valley line with the main line from London to Yarmouth, and will pass between the smallest to the next of he hills. The village of Bartlow is in the county of Cambridge; but the hamlet of Bartlow, or, as it is sometimes called, Steventon End, is in the county of Essex. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £259, in the patronage of R. Watkins, Esq. The church has a round tower, and contains a fresco painting of St. Christopher. It is dedicated to St. Mary. Bartlow Cottage and Bartlow House are the principal residences. Near the village are Bartlow Hills, in the parish of Ashdon, formerly supposed to be the monuments of the slain at the great battle of Assandune, in which Edmund Ironsides was defeated by Canute; but the excavations made in them in the years 1832, 1835, and 1838 distinctly prove them to be Roman works. Many curious and valuable sepulchral relics were discovered in them, which have since been lost in the fire at Easton Lodge, near Dunmow, the seat of Viscount Maynard, on whose estate the hills are situated, but a complete account of them has been preserved by the late Rokewode Gage, Esq., in volumes xxv-xxviii, of the "Archæologia.""