Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"BASSINGBOURN, (or Bassingbourne) is a parish, and a village, the latter being about 3 miles north-west from Royston station. A large portion of the township at Royston and the hamlet of Kneesworth is within this parish, which is in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
George Daniel Finch-Hatton esq. is lord of the manors of Bassingbourn Richmond and Castles Seymoure and Rowses. There are several landowners. The soil is clayey and chalky, and the subsoil gault and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans, peas and rye. The area of the entire civil parish is 3,204 acres; the population in 1921 was 2,052 in the civil and 2,236 in the ecclesiastical parish."
"KNEESWORTH, a hamlet on the Great North road, is in the parish of Bassingbourn, 2 miles north from Royston station on the Hitchin and Cambridge branch of the London and North Eastern railway. Kneesworth Hall, together with part of the estate, was purchased in 1900 by Viscount Knutsford, who has entirely rebuilt the old hall, which stands in well-timbered grounds of about 50 acres; the former mansion, supposed to have been erected about 1600, occupied the site of a still older house. The soil is chiefly chalk, red land and heavy land; the subsoil is clay and chalk, The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 879 acres; the population in 1922 was 84."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]