"BOTTISHAM, a parish in the hundred of Staine, in the county of Cambridge, 6 miles to the east of Cambridge, and 3 from the Six-Mile Bottom railway station. Cambridge is its post town. It includes the hamlets of Bottisham-Lode, and Longmeadow. In the former was a priory of Canons Regular, of the order of St. Augustine, founded by Richard de Clare, in an island called Anglesey, or Anglesey-in-the-Fens, hence the priory received the name of Anglesey Abbey. It was valued at its dissolution, according to Speed, at £149 18s. 6½d., but according to Dugdale at £24 19s. The present remains of the old structure are a vaulted room and graduated corbel-table; but in connection with these a new building was subsequently erected, which has been converted by the present owner into a handsome family mansion. In 1712 a fire broke out and partly destroyed the village, and again on Feb. 7, 1846, it was much damaged by an incendiary fire. An ornamental police station has recently been erected, at which petty sessions are held every alternate Wednesday.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £268, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, a noble early English structure, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and contains several interesting monuments-one to Elias de Bekingham, justiciary of England in the reign of Edward 1.; one to Sir Roger Jenyns, who died in 1740; and one by Bacon, to Soame Jenyns, who died in 1787. The register dates from 1563. At Bottisham-Lode, a chapel of ease, dedicated to St. James, was built and consecrated in 1853, to which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have been requested to assign a district, to embrace the hamlets of Bottisham-Lode and Long Meadow.
There is a small Independent meeting-house at Bottisham, and one for Baptists at Bottisham-Lode. In 1839, National and infant schools were built, to which a master's house was added in 1846; similar schools have recently been built at Bottisham-Lode. The charitable endowments of the parish amount to £200 per annum, including the endowment of a green-coat school, founded by Sir Roger Jenyns, and a bequest of £120 per annum by a former vicar, to be distributed by the vicar for the time being There is also a large tract of free land, producing turf and grass."
"LODE, a hamlet in the parish of Bottisham, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-east of Cambridge.
(See also Lode Parish pages)
"LONGMEADOW, a hamlet in the parish of Bottisham, county Cambridge, 6 miles north-east of Cambridge."
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham, Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville. It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway. There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E., M.P.
See also Six Mile Bottom main page."