Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"BRINKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Radfield, in the county of Cambridge, 6 miles to the south of Newmarket, and 3 south-east of the Sixmile-Bottom station on the Cambridge and Newmarket railway. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £241, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is an old stone building, with a tower and six bells, dedicated to St. Mary. The children of the parish participate in the benefit of the free school at Hilton, founded and endowed in 1729 by Mrs. March. There is also a National school. Brinkley Hall is an old mansion, once the seat of the Stutevilles, and subsequently a farmhouse."
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham, Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville. It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway. There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E., M.P.
See also Six Mile Bottom main page."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- St. Mary's Church}, Brinkley.
- "The church of the Blessed Virgin, restored in 1874 by the rector and parishioners at an expense of about £1,000, is a building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells; the chancel and nave are Decorated and the tower Perpendicular: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1685." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- There is further information and photographs of the Church on Ben and Mark's Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Brinkley, Blessed Virgin: The parish registers for baptisms 1684-1997, marriages 1686-1990, burials 1724-1996 and banns 1754-1809, 1828-1966 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1599-1851, marriages 1599-1838 and burials 1599-1851 are available in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Parish register transcripts of Brinkley, Blessed Virgin, 1599-1851, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-1948.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Brinkley which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL626547 (Lat/Lon: 52.166574, 0.376068), Brinkley which are provided by: